Code Welding Compliance, Contract Welding Compliance, Failure Analysis, Litigation & Expert Testimony, Welding Consultant
Dr. Jesse A. Grantham P.E.
Forensic Welding Expert Witness
1. I have a Ph.D. in Engineering from The Ohio State University (OSU), Columbus, OH (1992 – Welding Engineering / Metallurgy / Nondestructive Testing) an M.S. in Welding Engineering from OSU, Columbus, OH (1988); an M.B.A. from the University of Southwestern Louisiana, Lafayette, LA (1982); and a B.S. in Industrial Engineering and Management from Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK (1969).
2. I am a recognized Forensic Welding Expert. I am currently a Fellow #597 and past Treasurer of the National Academy of Forensic Engineers (NAFE), an affiliate of the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE). I am a Registered Professional Engineer in Colorado and other states.
3. I am the Owner and Principal Investigator at Welding & Joining Management Group, an independent metals/weld testing laboratory. Since 1978, I have specialized in welding code consulting and contract compliance, welding process applications, forensic investigations of weld regions, failure analysis of weld regions, welding metallurgy, underwater welding, and welding inspection and testing for onshore oil, gas and mining industry and offshore equipment in marine environments. I analyze and explain complex technical issues in clear, understandable terms. I am an active author and teacher.
4. I have been an expert in welding and metal-joining processes. I have instructed and examined welders and testing technicians and developed metal testing instructions and compliance reviews of cutting, welding, and testing specifications. I have been a welding engineer for development and management of an ISO-certified metallurgical testing laboratory. I have supervised welding and testing for the manufacturing of offshore petroleum/maritime equipment to U.S. Coast Guard and Minerals Management Services standards. I was an Industrial Engineer for processes, products, labor management and safety programs.
5. I am currently registered as an American Welding Society (AWS) Certified Welding Inspector (98041061), AWS Certified Welding Educator (9807029E), AWS Certified Radiographic Interpreter (1511017N) and American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Level III (95605) in non-destructive testing methods of Visual Testing, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, and Ultrasonic (straight beam and shear wave).
6. I own and operate the Welding & Joining Management Institute (1996), an academy for learning/provided instructions about weld inspection and metals. I teach courses in certified welding inspections, nondestructive testing of welds, mechanical testing of metals and welding, and weld metallurgy. I teach welding courses about design of welds, processes, materials, heat inputs, welding safety and nondestructive testing; courses for the American Society of Metals (ASM) International about designs for welding, welding processes, welding metallurgy, stainless steel welding & metallurgy and nondestructive testing of welds. I taught courses for Columbia Basin College and Washington State University about manufacturing processes, welding metallurgy, safety, welding inspection and nondestructive testing. I volunteer/serve on numerous collegiate welding advisory committees and AWS welding committees.
7. My experience as a welding expert spans 40 years. My case listing and curriculum vitae are readily available.
AWS ASME API
The code and procedure will be determined by what type of job the welder is being certified for. There are structural welding tests, pipe welding tests, aerospace welding tests, food service welding tests and more.
The welder must have a copy of the WPS that they will be certified on, the (PQR) and be dressed in PPE for welding. WJMG can provide the welding machines and coupons or the welder can bring their own.
Dial Caliper, Micrometer
Electrical Instrument (ammeter, voltmeter, WFS)
Epsilon Strain Gauge
Filler Weld Gauges (set 5 or 7)
Hardness Test Instrument
Harmonic Tests (welding power supply)
Skidmore - Wilhelm
Thread Profile, Depth Gauge, Bore Depth
Tape Measure, Rulers, Scales